Friday, October 1, 2010

Open Letter to an Asshat

This is completely off of my intent in having this blog, but I can't bring myself to set up another site just for this, so please forgive me. It's just that I've had ENOUGH.

I was sitting at my local pub last night when a guy who was a year ahead of me in high school walked in and sat down next to me. He then started (again) to gripe at me about how much his life sucks... he's going to be 39 next month, has no driver's license, blah blah blah. He has no DL because he was hanging out with his coke head friends (more on that in a second), got pulled over, and refused to take a Breathalyzer test. PA law has stated for at least 20 years that if you refuse the test, you accept the penalty for DUI. To be honest, I'm not sure if it's a "no contest" plea, or a "guilty" plea, but it doesn't really matter. The "I only had three drinks" excuse DOES NOT apply if you refuse the test. After that, he started getting into his good friend/neighbor who also has "the cops keeping an eye on him," who also just got out of jail... he was in for felony possession with intent to distribute....  basically, class 3 narcotics in a baggie. OK, say you do have a prescription for those, they need to be in a proper container with the prescribing doctor's name as well as yours. If you put them in a plastic bag, that's automatic packaging for distribution. Back to the first guy... after griping at me about how much his life sucks, he smiled and started telling me about "this girl who will do anything for pills." The fact that you hang out with a crowd where you could possibly meet someone like this isn't a clue as to why your life isn't going anywhere?

OK. I'm done with that. This morning, I was logged into [name withheld] social networking site, and saw a post that really got me going. This guy was bitching at his "friends" for not asking how he was after a car accident last night "at 130 mph." First, what in god's name are you doing driving at least twice the posted speed limit almost anywhere in the continental US, unless in a sanctioned racing event? Second, what would possess you to drive like that on wet (it was drizzling last night) roads? Third, how could you POSSIBLY expect sympathy?

Basically, I'm getting to the idea of accepting responsibility for one's own actions. I've done a lot of messed up stuff over the years. I've also gotten in trouble a couple times- both less frequently, and less severe than deserved most of the time. On the occasion I did get caught, though, I owned up to the fact that it was my fault, bad decision, etc. In the end, you bring it on yourself, and should not EVER blame someone else or look for sympathy.

I think I'm done now.

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment